Guinness Storehouse – The History of Guinness Beer
The Guinness Storehouse explains the history of Beer. The story told through various interactive exhibition areas including ingredients, brewing, transport, cooperage, advertising and sponsorship.
The journey begins at the bottom of the world’s most massive pint glass. It continues up through seven floors filled with interactive experiences that fuse our long brewing heritage with Ireland’s rich history. At the top, you’ll get a pint of perfection as a reward in the world-famous rooftop Gravity Bar. Cheers to that!
At the base of the atrium lies a copy of the 9,000-year lease signed by Arthur Guinness on the brewery site. In the Perfect Pint bar, visitors may pour their own pint of Guinness.
Meanwhile, The Brewery Bar on the fifth floor offers Irish cuisine, using Guinness beer both in the cooking and as an accompaniment to food. From the Dublin Citi Hotel, it is just a 25-minute walk. They are open every day from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The storehouse building, constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James’s Gate Brewery (where the magic happens). The building, designed in the style of the Chicago School of Architecture.
That is to say, is the first multi-storey steel-framed building constructed in Ireland. The storehouse building was part of the fermentation plant of the Brewery until its closure in 1988. The new fermentation plant is near the River Liffey.
In 1997, they decided to convert the building into the Guinness Storehouse, replacing the Guinness Hop Store as the Brewery’s visitor centre. The UK-based design firm Imagination in conjunction with the Dublin-based architects firm RKD redesign the building.
As a result, the Storehouse opened to the public on 2 December 2000. In 2006 they developed a new wing, including a live installation demonstrating the modern brewing process. In May 2011, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visited the Storehouse as part of a state visit to Ireland.
The Guinness® Archive collects, preserves and makes accessible records and artefacts from the formation of the company in 1759 to the present day. The Archive is a treasure chest of Guinness history, used by Guinness marketing communities around the world, economic and brewing historians, collectors, family history researchers and anyone with an interest in the Guinness Company and brand.
Above all, The Guinness® Archive was formally established in 1998 when the company employed its first professional archivist to curate the company’s history.
- Adult: €18.50
- Seniors/Students: € 18.50
- Children: €16.00