Dublin Castle is one of the most important buildings in Irish history and is worth a visit if you are staying in the Dublin Citi Hotel as it is just 3 minutes away. It opens its doors from Monday to Sunday from 9:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m, last addmission @5:15pm.
Until 1922 it was the seat of the British government's administration in Ireland. Most of the current construction dates from the 18th century, though a castle has stood on the site since the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland. The Castle served as the seat of English, then later British government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171–1541), the Kingdom of Ireland (1541–1800), and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1800–1922).
Following the fire, a campaign of rebuilding in the late-seventeenth and eighteenth centuries saw the Castle transformed from a medieval bastion into a Georgian palace. The new building included a suite of grand reception rooms known as the State Apartments. These palatial spaces accommodated the Viceroy and were the focus of great state occasions. In the early nineteenth century the Castle was enhanced by the addition of the Chapel Royal in the Lower Castle Yard. It remains one of the architectural highlights of Georgian Dublin today.
- Bermingham Tower
- Record Tower
- Octagonal Tower
- Bedford Tower
- Powder Tower
- Corke Tower
Tourism and culture:
- The complex of buildings is usually open to the public, except during certain state functions. The crypt of the Chapel Royal is now used as an arts centre, and occasional concerts are held in the grounds of the Castle.
- The castle complex also hosts the Chester Beatty Library, in a purpose-constructed facility, with a café, the Garda Museum, in the Treasury Building, and the Revenue Museum.
- The former site of the "dark pool" on the Poddle was remodeled into a garden, with a water feature that commemorates fallen Gardaí, and a helipad.
The Chapel Royal:
- There has been a chapel at Dublin Castle since at least 1242.
- The present chapel was designed by Francis Johnston and was opened, as the Anglican chapel of the Viceroy, on Christmas Day 1814. Although several times smaller than Johnston’s nearby General Post Office, it was as expensive to build. It became known as the Chapel Royal after King George IV attended service on 2 September 1821.
Self Guided Tickets:
Kids (12-17 yo) €4
Senior / Student €6
Kids (12-17 yo) €6
Senior / Student €10